I'm trying to make a merge sort algorithm in C. The problem is that it does not work for a big number of elements. If the array has 100000 elements it's OK but if it has 1e6 or 1e7 then it crashes. I thought that you cannot give such a big number of elements for an array but after I have read that this is not true, you should be able to give 1e7 elements. After that I thought that maybe int range is to small but that's not the case, int goes to 1e9. I don't really know what's the problem and why it doesn't work, so please help. Thanks in advance!
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int n;
void merge(int *, int, int);
void mergeSort(int *, int, int);
void bubbleSort(int *, int);
int main() {
// scanf("%d",&n);
n = 10000000;
int *a = (int *)malloc(n * sizeof(int));
if (a == NULL) {
printf("Nu s-a putut aloca memorie.");
exit(0);
}
for (int i = 0; i < n; i++)
a[i] = rand() % 50;
mergeSort(a, 0, n - 1);
//bubbleSort(a, n - 1);
// for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) {
// printf("%d ", a[i]);
// }
free(a);
return 0;
}
void merge(int *a, int start, int sfarsit) {
int mij = (start + sfarsit) / 2;
int i = start;
int j = mij + 1;
int k = start;
int aux[10000000];
while (i <= mij && j <= sfarsit) {
if (a[i] < a[j])
aux[k++] = a[i++];
else
aux[k++] = a[j++];
}
while (i <= mij)
aux[k++] = a[i++];
while (j <= sfarsit)
aux[k++] = a[j++];
for (int i = start; i <= sfarsit; i++)
a[i] = aux[i];
}
void mergeSort(int *a, int start, int sfarsit) {
if (start >= sfarsit)
return ;
int mij = (start + sfarsit) / 2;
mergeSort(a, start, mij);
mergeSort(a, mij + 1, sfarsit);
merge(a, start, sfarsit);
}