Why I have an SSL certificat error after doing git pull?

Viewed 1478

When I do git pull to update my repo, the response is:

fatal: unable to access 'https://bitbucket.org/site/site.git/': SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'bitbucket.org'

Know that I'm updating my repository always and every day with git pull, but today I can't do it. When I've talked with my boss, he said that he changed the repository name on bitbucket by just eliminating dashes.

2 Answers

It usually happens when the certificate does not match with the host name. As the error code says, "no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name" - so there is an issue with the SSL certificate.

This error occurs for you, because your “boss” has changed the name of the repository (eliminating dashes). So the SSL certificate must be created again before you can do a pull to this repository.

Look at this tutorial or do it the way you created it. But since the name was changed by the repository, the SSL certificate has to be renewed.

This error appears for me when the Git repo server is behind a VPN and the VPN is down. Check for VPN issues prior to fixing certs or reinstalling TLS/SSL libraries.

Related