Docker registry on Linux host to store (not to run!) Windows-based images

Viewed 105

As we all know:

"Basically, you cannot run windows containers in Linux. Containers are not for virtualization, and they are using the resources of the host machine."

But what about Docker instance that works as a private Docker registry? I`ve set up a private Docker registry on AltLinux and I want to redistribute some images for Windows. If I do

docker pull mcr.microsoft.com/dotnet/core/runtime:3.1.4-nanoserver-1809

I get: image operating system "windows" cannot be used on this platform

I understand: Windows image, Linux Docker host... But I don't want to run it here, I just want to keep in on my registry so that my Windows Server hosts could use those .NetCore and other Win-images. I can succesfully pull .NetCore with Linux tag but then I can`t pull it from my local registry on my Windows Docker host.

What am I missing here? What universal platform then is being used to store both Linux and Windows-based images (like Docker hub)? Do I have to use two separate docker registries if I need to store Linux and Windows-based images there?

0 Answers
Related