I'm reading the following paragraph in the Foundations of Machine learning book https://cs.nyu.edu/~mohri/mlbook/ on page 362 (of the book).
Now i'm fairly new to the concept of DFA but i have some experience. I have some questions over the paragraph.
Why do they want a deterministic automata that accepts the positively labeled string "a" or "b" ? Surely you would want to reject $"b"$ since it is negatively labelled?
Is "a" meant to be a string of characters i.e. a = 01010101 or is it a single letter itself?
What is the minimal two state automata that accepts "a" or "b" could someone describe it? Also i'm unsure how it differs from the single state machine they describe next for the language a* ? Could someone explicitly describe both? I don't see what the difference between the two cases is and maybe thats why i don't understand why one has two states and the other a single state.
I would really appreciate any help as i'm really trying to understand the concepts they talk about.
