Understanding GPU processes from `nvidia-smi` command

Viewed 2115

I have a new laptop with NVidia RTX 2070 GPU that I'm using to train tensorflow 2.1 models. Unfortunately I'm having GPU OOM (out of memory) issues - in the middle of training it crashes, I reduced RAM usage a lot, but of course the problem still persists.

I tried to check what is causing the GPU go OOM. When I type nvidia-smi in the terminal I get the following outputs:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.64.00    Driver Version: 440.64.00    CUDA Version: 10.2     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce RTX 2070    On   | 00000000:01:00.0 Off |                  N/A |
| N/A   43C    P8     6W /  N/A |   1009MiB /  7982MiB |     11%      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0      1209      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                            72MiB |
|    0      1237      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                          52MiB |
|    0      1565      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                           481MiB |
|    0      1693      G   /usr/bin/gnome-shell                         195MiB |
|    0     12312      G   ...uest-channel-token=14048285025818334832   204MiB |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

What are these processes about? Can you help me interpret and understand them? Is there anything I can kill, and how?

1 Answers

All of the processes are X-windows display processes. If your laptop has some sleazy onboard video (many do, for power-saving) you can configure it to use that to drive the display, and that will free up the fancy card for computing.

Related