I want to make a world heat map of a particular disease. The dataset contains the list of countries, latitude, longitude and cases in each country. The data is available here. I want to represent it using a world heat map i.e. countries which have higher cases should have a darker color and it should lighten with the countries having lesser number of cases. I have used ggplot and geom_map to create the same. Code is as shown below:
library(maps)
library(plyr)
library(gridExtra)
h2 <- read_excel("mapdata1.xlsx")
world_map <- map_data("world")
world_map <- subset(world_map, region!="Antarctica")
gg <- ggplot(h2)
gg <- gg + geom_map(dat=world_map, map = world_map, aes(map_id=region),
fill="white", color="#7f7f7f", size=0.25)
gg <- gg + geom_map(map = world_map, aes(map_id = Country, fill = Cases), size=0.25)
gg <- gg + scale_fill_gradient(low="#fff7bc", high="#cc4c02", name="Total Cases")
gg <- gg + expand_limits(x = world_map$long, y = world_map$lat)
gg <- gg + labs(x="", y="", title="World Hotspots")
gg <- gg + theme(panel.grid=element_blank(), panel.border=element_blank())
gg <- gg + theme(axis.ticks=element_blank(), axis.text=element_blank())
gg <- gg + theme(legend.position="top")
gg
When I run the code, it shows the heat map but certain countries like USA are white in color even though it has higher number of cases. I am not able to figure out why so?
