Visual-Block mode not working in Vim with C-v on WSL@Windows 10

Viewed 9766

I use WSL Ubuntu and Vim inside the new Windows Terminal, but if I have to enter the visual-block mode with C-v, I can't since it acts as paste.

I am okay with rebinding it to something else but I don't happen to have found the command that I have to add to .vimrc, I think it has something to do with inoremap.

Any advice?

2 Answers

CTRL+v is bound to paste in Windows Terminal by default. As of now, the only thing that's working is to disable that behaviour in the settings.json. You can do that by pressing CTRL+, or just select Settings in this menu, then click on "Open JSON file" at the bottom left corner and comment out the line:

  "keybindings": [
    ...
    // { "command": "paste", "keys": "ctrl+v" }, <------ THIS LINE

After doing this, you can switch to visual block mode as usual and paste with CTRL+SHIFT+v.

I've found these issues on the project's GitHub about this problem:

https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues/5790

https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues/5641

You can just change the default "settings.json"

Orignal :

{
    "command": 
    {
        "action": "copy",
        "singleLine": false
    },
    "keys": "ctrl+c" 
},
{
    "command": "paste",
    "keys": "ctrl+v"
},

Modified :

{
    "command": 
    {
        "action": "copy",
        "singleLine": false
    },
    "keys": "ctrl+shift+c"
},
{
    "command": "paste",
    "keys": "ctrl+shift+v"
},
Related