Denial of Service - http proxy - React

Viewed 3160

I am pretty sure that this error appeared only today and it never occurred before. When I create a new react app, the process found 1 high vulnerability:

High: Denial of Service

Package: http-proxy

Patched in: No patch available

Dependency of: react-scripts

Path: react-scripts > webpack-dev-server > http-proxy-middleware > http-proxy

More info: https://npmjs.com/advisories/1486

(My version of "react-scripts" is 3.4.1). Of course, "npm audit fix" doesn't work.

What can I do about it? Is it something to care about or I can work normally?

3 Answers

All versions of http-proxy are vulnerable to Denial of Service. An HTTP request with a long body triggers an ERR_HTTP_HEADERS_SENT unhandled exception that crashes the proxy server. This is only possible when the proxy server sets headers in the proxy request using the proxyReq.setHeader function.

For a proxy server running on http://localhost:3000, the following curl request triggers the unhandled exception: curl -XPOST http://localhost:3000 -d "$(python -c 'print("x"*1025)')"

Remediation

No fix is currently available. Consider using an alternative package until a fix is made available.

Conclusion

But for the time being, you can work normally. It should not cause any type of working anomaly as of now.

first install the package

npm install http-proxy --save-dev

in your package.json file add the following statements

"resolutions" :{ "http-proxy": "^1.18.1" }

"scripts" :{ "preinstall": "npx npm-force-resolutions" }

then run the command in the command prompt-

npm install

this might fixed your vulnerability

Related