I successfully implemented in my aks cluster an ingress with tls certification (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/aks/ingress-own-tls), but I would like to pass the information contained in the client certificate to the backend.
I did try adding to my ingress the annotation nginx.ingress.kubernetes.io/auth-tls-pass-certificate-to-upstream: "true", but the information seems to be missing in my request headers (I am simply printing the content of request.headers from my flask application). Other headers are correctly shown, e.g. X-Forwarded-Proto: https or X-Forwarded-Port: 443 .
Could somebody confirm the expected behaviour of the annotation?
Do I need to configure the backend somehow with tls as well?
EDIT
I did access the ingress pod, and in the nginx config I could not find any reference to ssl_client_s_dn, which I would expect to be the best candidate to pass the certificate info into an header.
I tried to assign some custom headers following the steps in https://github.com/kubernetes/ingress-nginx/tree/master/docs/examples/customization/custom-headers, but also this seems not to work.