I'm working on some code to calculate numColumns for a flatlist- intention is 3 on landscape tablet, 2 on portrait tablet, and 1 on portrait phone.
Here's my code:
const [width, setWidth] = useState(Dimensions.get('window').width);
const [imageWidth, setImageWidth] = useState(100);
const [imageHeight, setImageHeight] = useState(100);
const [columns, setColumns] = useState(3);
useEffect(() => {
function handleChange() {
setWidth(Dimensions.get('window').width);
}
Dimensions.addEventListener("change", handleChange);
return () => Dimensions.removeEventListener("change", handleChange);
}, [width]);
useEffect(() => {
if (width > 1100) {
setColumns(3);
} else if (width <= 1099 && width > 600) {
setColumns(2);
} else {
setColumns(1);
}
setImageWidth((width - (64 * columns) + 15) / columns);
setImageHeight(((width - (64 * columns) + 15) / columns) * .6);
}, [width]);
imageWidth and imageHeight are passed to the render component of the flatlist to size an image.
It seems to work fine when I load it in landscape mode, but if I rotate to portrait, I get this:
Then, if I go back to landscape, it stays as 2 columns?
Any idea how I can fix this?

