ZFS-enhanced way to copy files over network?

Viewed 106

What is the best way to copy files from one computer to another using ZFS or checksumming?

I have a FreeNAS server with ZFS and a Mac with Mojave and ZFS.

I want to copy a large (4 TB) Time Machine sparsebundle from the server to the ZVOL on the Mac over the network.

I wonder if there is a ZFS-enhanced way to do this, which perhaps includes metadata or checksums.

Apparently ZFS only includes options for copying (send/receive) complete filesystems or volumes, not individual files.

I found the command

cp -z

on an Oracle online manual, but this apparently does not work in the macOS terminal.

Any idea?

1 Answers

There is no way to leverage ZFS for this using any of it's features other than send/receive. Unless you are transferring an whole fs or volume snapshot (full or incremental), ZFS can't help you.

Related