pipenv is not recognized on powershell

Viewed 12680

I made sure pipenv was installed in the following path C:\Users\Owner> pip install pipenv

Then got the following response:

Requirement already satisfied: setuptools>=36.2.1 in c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\
ackages (from pipenv) (39.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied: pip>=9.0.1 in c:\users\owner\appdata\local\programs\python\python36-32\lib\site-pac
(from pipenv) (20.1)
Requirement already satisfied: virtualenv-clone>=0.2.5 in c:\users\owner\appdata\roaming\python\python36\site-pack
from pipenv) (0.5.4)
Requirement already satisfied: virtualenv in c:\users\owner\appdata\roaming\python\python36\site-packages (from pi
(16.0.0)
Requirement already satisfied: certifi in c:\users\owner\appdata\roaming\python\python36\site-packages (from pipen
20.4.5.1)

After that, I tried to set it up in a specific directory. And, then I got the following message.

PS C:\Users\Owner\desktop\Python\Pyprojects> pipenv install
The term 'pipenv' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the
ling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:7
+ pipenv <<<<  install
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (pipenv:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Before, it kept saying that I didn't have the wheel set up. So, I installed that. But, now I get the above mentioned error messages. How can I resolve this? Thanks for your help.

3 Answers

Seems you don't have pipenv in your PATH environment variable.

You should check for your python install location e.g. I have it installed at C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32

Include "python_install_location\Scripts" in your PATH environment variable. e.g.

C:\Users\userName\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\Scripts\

To set your environment variable:

  1. Open Control Panel\System and Security\System from your file explorer.
  2. Advanced System Settings
  3. Environment Variables...
  4. Select Path and Edit
  5. Add a new row to include above path.

Scripts folder must have an entry like

pipenv script

To verify run pipenv --version

enter image description here

I was struggling with this for the longest time. I followed what user Ram Bhajan Mishra (as well as other users in different posts) have stated and was so lost. I had python installed in different directories. I kept playing around with various environment variable pathways... nothing seemed to work.

Do you know what eventually solved the problem? I simply Restarted my computer after finding the pipenv.py file in the correct directory (/Scripts) and adding it to the environment variable path, and now pipenv works wonderfully on my Windows PC! Restarting will allow your computer to update your environment variables that you adjusted in the control panel.

I know this is an old question, but hopefully this answer will help out other users who may have been in the same position that I was in.

If you type in "pip install pipenv" in your terminal, the terminal will tell you the location of your pipenv file; it is usually in the first line. Make sure to follow that location, then copy it and add to PATH environment.

I found pipenv under this location : C:\Users"UserName"\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python310\Scripts

Related