Cloning GitHub Repo over WSL Fails

Viewed 2936

OS: Windows 10 Pro VM: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I am trying to clone a repo I forked (freeCodeCamp - if it matters), on my WSL, but it keeps failing with this error:

error: RPC failed; curl 56 GnuTLS recv error (-9): A TLS packet with unexpected length was received. fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly fatal: early EOF fatal: index-pack failed

  • I have tried increasing the buffer size through Git.
  • I have tried changing to WSL 1 (2 is currently my default).
  • I have tried increasing my packet size through Git.
  • I have tried cloning through SSH (this is not working due to my poor attempts to set up the handshake)
  • I have managed to clone a much smaller repo.

Does anyone have more ideas?

2 Answers

First, make sure you are using the latest 2.26.2 Git version available (even in Ubuntu 18.04 VM, upgrading Git through ppa)

Second, if the issue persists, check if one of the settings of this question helps.
Doing a shallow clone, to reduce the history, might help if the freeCodeCamps repo is a giant one.

Related