I am writing a tool to monitor server certificate expiration. I'm using python3 ssl and socket modules to get the server cert using a pretty basic method of creating a default context, disabling hostname validation and certificate verification, calling SSLSocket.connect(), then SSLSocket.getpeercert(), with the sole purpose of grabbing the server certificate, and that is all.
This is all within a private network and I am not concerned with validation.
I have some devices that require client certs signed by a private CA (which my tool doesn't have), so the handshake fails on SSLSocket.connect(), making SSLSocket.getpeercert() impossible.
I know that the server certificate is indeed being provided to my client (along with that pesky Certificate Request) during the handshake. I can see it in a packet capture, as well as just using the openssl s_client command line.
Here is my code.
def get_cert(self, host, port):
ctx = ssl.create_default_context()
ctx.check_hostname = False
ctx.verify_mode = ssl.CERT_NONE
with ctx.wrap_socket(socket.socket(), server_hostname=host) as s:
s.settimeout(10)
s.connect((host, port))
binary_cert = s.getpeercert(True)
cert = OpenSSL.crypto.load_certificate(OpenSSL.crypto.FILETYPE_ASN1, binary_cert)
pem_cert = OpenSSL.crypto.dump_certificate(OpenSSL.crypto.FILETYPE_PEM, cert).decode()
return pem_cert
Is there any way to get a little lower into the handshake messages to get the server cert, even though the handshake ultimately fails?
My current solution is to just run openssl s_client -connect host:port using subprocess.run() in the event of a ssl.SSLError.