reveal fake number / prevent fake registration / fake sms

Viewed 438

I faced with a such question for which can not find an answer in google. For example, I have a company which provides some services for customers. And for new users I have a promo/discounts. As we know there are a lot of websites which provide fake number for receiving sms for registration. I need a useful solution to prevent registration with such numbers. I want to check if this number is real or not and allow registration only if real. What is your suggestion/solution ? What would you do or maybe already did something for escaping a such problems.

Note: Maybe Some tags are not relevant to this issue, so please inform me and I will remove this tag. Or vice verse, if you have any suggestions related tags please let me know I will add this tag.

Thank you in advance.

2 Answers

Usually what you do is you take the number/email and you send it to a service most likely through an API. There is rarely any inhouse software that does this functionality!

Here are a few services, I have used & worked with etumos before, not bad but it comes with a price!

For numverify, it is free to an extent. Try it out & see if it works with your solution.

It supports Carrier Detection

While phone numbers help businesses identify and legitimize customers, some numbers are very easy to retrieve from certain carriers. For exmaple, anyone can quickly register multiple phone numbers from a free online provider, making it easy to create fake profiles.

To address this risk, the numverify API will return a separate carrier object containing the name of the carrier the requested phone number is registered with. This way businesses can require additional identity authentication for carriers associated with higher fraud instances.

Send an SMS to the number, ask a question that a human can answer better than a bot and request a response.

Related