I am using the pretty standard smooth scrolling javascript to link to anchor points on the same pages in my wordpress site and it works fine. However, I get no response from a link/button when trying to open an anchor point on another page. It's like the link/button is completely dead. It works fine if I right click on it and select open in a new tab. It also works if I remove the offending javascript from the site header. Can anybody suggest where the conflict may lie? For those who may not be familiar, this is the offending code:
$(document).ready(function(){
// Add smooth scrolling to all links
$("a").on('click', function(event) {
// Make sure this.hash has a value before overriding default behavior
if (this.hash !== "") {
// Prevent default anchor click behavior
event.preventDefault();
// Store hash
var hash = this.hash;
// Using jQuery's animate() method to add smooth page scroll
// The optional number (800) specifies the number of milliseconds it takes to scroll to the specified area
$('html, body').animate({
scrollTop: $(hash).offset().top
}, 800, function(){
// Add hash (#) to URL when done scrolling (default click behavior)
window.location.hash = hash;
});
} // End if
});
});