Appearance settings broken in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Viewed 14433

I upgraded my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to 20.04 one week ago.

Somehow, I had no settings when I first launched my newly upgraded Ubuntu. I managed to fix that after installing gnome-control-center.

Everything works fine except the "Appearance" settings. I can't change my theme nor enable my dock. The dock is kept hidden for some reason (even though this option is disabled by default). I don't use tweak or any other packages for the dock or the appearance of my windows.

I couldn't find any way to fix it. I tried to remove the user file in dconf or even the .config directory but none of these worked.

Is there anything I could do to fix that? Thanks.

5 Answers

Try by reinstalling the gnome control center:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install gnome-control-center

You have to re-install Gnome Control Center by typing these command lines:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install gnome-control-center

Try by reinstalling the gnome control center:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install gnome-control-center

I got an error when changing show on, the value was constant allmonitors reinstalling fixed it.

I upgraded from 16.04 LTS and had the same problem. The new theme (since 18.04?) seems to be yaru, which was not installed in my configuration.

I installed these yaru packages, and theme switching in "appearance" worked again:

sudo apt install yaru-theme-gtk yaru-theme-gnome-shell yaru-theme-icon yaru-theme-unity yaru-theme-sound 

I am not sure what the problem is, but removing and re-installing the GUI could serve a purpose similar to a reboot (flush/rebuild):

Use Ctrl + Alt + F4 (or F3, F5, F6...) to switch to a TTY session, and run these:

sudo apt purge ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop
Related