How to Upgrade my flutter app without using Playstore or App store?

Viewed 6862

I have an app created for internal use. I have not published it on the play store, but I have to update it regularly.

Can anyone help...with which library should I use for implementing a self-upgrade system to my app. Any answer would be appreciated.

2 Answers

The answer is - no, you can't do that - not at least the Flutter* apps. As @Abion47 said, you can publish the new APK and ask users to install it. If you app involves back-end then you can check the (client) mobile app version and display the alert if the version is below minimum version required.

On the iOS side, it is slightly more difficult. For internal use, the organisation needs to sign-up with Apple's enterprise program. You can then distribute the app internally.

*- I've seen certain apps downloads the zip (or whatever) file, and updates themselves without actually going through App update process via AppStore/Playstore. However, it is more of a web part within the particular app which gets updated. The app version as such remains same.

The answer is - yes, You can upload your app to the Apple Store and Google Play but Not publish it to the public, instead, you can use internal testing So only users that you define will be able to see or download your app in the Google Play and Apple Store

Google Play internal test https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9303479?hl=en

Apple test flight https://developer.apple.com/testflight/

Yep it has some limitations, for example, Apple allows up to 10000 testers but I hope it's ok for your company, but its only way to share app internally without any issues on iOS (android allow you to download apps from anywhere, iOS don't)

Related