Setting a different locale for specific Shiny apps only on shinyapps.io

Viewed 439

I am using shinyapps.io to host quite a few Shiny apps. Usually, I am hosting apps in German.

Now, I want to host one app in English. The only thing that does not work are the abbreviated month names on the scale_x_date axis of a ggplot. These are still shown in German.

I manually set the locale at the beginning of the server.R file. This worked fine on my machine. The abbreviated month names are shown in English. However, as soon as I deploy the app to shinyapps.io, German abbreviations are shown again.

I understand that this happens because the {rsconnect} package is trying to match the locale for the app on shinyapps.io with the locale on my machine. So, my question is:

How can I force shinyapps.io (or the {rsconnect} package) to use a specific locale for just this single app. Preferably, I don't want to change my overall system locale and certainly not all locales for all apps in my shinyapps.io account.

Another solution would be to force scale_x_date to use English month abbreviations and not use those from the current locale.

Thank you very much for your help and time!

1 Answers

I found adding Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL","C") to the beginning of the code (so outside the app, where you load packages, etc) works. Don't know why the Shiny locale changes if my "offline" one is in English though.

Related