In my Typescript app, there's a class that represents some data. This class is being shared end to end (both front-and-back ends use it to structure the data). It has a property named items which is an array of numbers.
class Data {
constructor() {
this.items = [0];
}
addItem() {
this.items = [...this.items, this.items.length];
}
}
I'm trying to render those numbers in my component, but since modifying the class instance won't cause a re-render, I have to "force rerender" to make the new items values render:
const INSTANCE = new Data();
function ItemsDisplay() {
const forceUpdate = useUpdate(); // from react-use
useEffect(() => {
const interval = setInterval(() => {
INSTANCE.addItem();
forceUpdate(); // make it work
}, 2000);
return () => clearInterval(interval);
}, []);
return (
<div>
<h1>with class:</h1>
<div>{INSTANCE.items.map(item => <span>{item}</span>)}</div>
</div>
);
}
While this works, it has one major drawback: addItem() is not the only modification done to INSTANCE; This class has actually around 10 to 15 properties that represent different data parts. So, doing forceUpdate() wherever a modification happens is a nightmare. Not no mention, if this instance will be modified outside the component, I won't be able to forceUpdate() to sync the change with the component.
Using useState([]) to represent items will solve this issue, but as I said Data has a lot of properties, so as some functions. That's another nightmare.
I would like to know what's the best way of rendering data from a class instance, without rerender hacks or unpacking the whole instance into a local component state.
Thanks!
Here's a Codesandbox demo that shows the differences between using a class and a local state.