I'm interested in using netlink for a straightforward application (reading cgroup stats at high frequency).
The man page cautions that the protocol is not reliable, hinting that the application needs to be prepared to handle dropped packets:
However, reliable transmissions from kernel to user are impossible in any case. The kernel can't send a netlink message if the socket buffer is full: the message will be dropped and the kernel and the user-space process will no longer have the same view of kernel state. It is up to the application to detect when this happens (via the
ENOBUFSerror returned byrecvmsg(2)) and resynchronize.
Since my requirements are simple, I'm fine with just destroying the socket and creating a new one whenever anything unexpected happens. But I can't find any documentation on what the expectations are on my program—the man page for recvmsg(2) doesn't even mention ENOBUFS for example.
What all do I need to worry about in order to make sure I can tell that a request from my application or a response from the kernel has been dropped, so that I can reset everything and start over? It's clear to me that I could do so whenever I receive an error from any of the syscalls involved, but for example what happens if my request is dropped on the way to the kernel? Will I just never receive a response? Do I need to build a timeout mechanism where I wait only so long for a response?