Error: Type 'void' is not assignable to type 'ReactNode'

Viewed 45559

I'm getting an error while calling the function, this is just for practice so I have kept everything inside App.tsx. My class looks like this:

enum Actor {
  None = '',
}

const initializeCard = () => {
  //some logic here
  return card;
}

export default class App extends Component<{}, State> {
  state: State ={
    card: initializeCard()
  }

  public renderRows = () => {
    const { card } = this.state;
    board.map((actor, index) => this.renderRow(actor, index));
  }

  public renderRow = (actor: Actor, index: number) => {
    return(
      <div className="cell">

      </div>
    )
  }

  public render() {
    return (
      <div className="App">
        <div>
            { this.renderRows() } // Here I'm getting the error
        </div>
      </div>
    )
  }
}

My Package.json looks like:

"dependencies": {
    "@testing-library/jest-dom": "^4.2.4",
    "@testing-library/react": "^9.3.2",
    "@testing-library/user-event": "^7.1.2",
    "@types/jest": "^24.0.0",
    "@types/node": "^12.0.0",
    "@types/react": "^16.9.0",
    "@types/react-dom": "^16.9.0",
    "react": "^16.13.1",
    "react-dom": "^16.13.1",
    "react-scripts": "3.4.1",
    "typescript": "~3.7.2"
  }

The complete error is as following:

Type 'void' is not assignable to type 'ReactNode'.ts(2322) index.d.ts(1348, 9): The expected type comes from property 'children' which is declared here on type 'DetailedHTMLProps<HTMLAttributes, HTMLDivElement>'

I've searched for the solutions for this error and found this but I couldn't solve my problem with this solution. Please let me know how can I fix this. Thanks.

2 Answers

You need to return something from your function.

Where is renderCell function? perhaps you mean renderRow?

Make sure that the renderRows function returns the rows it renders rather than just rendering them and doing nothing.

enum Actor {
  None = '',
}

const initializeCard = () => {
  //some logic here
  return card;
}

export default class App extends Component<{}, State> {
  state: State ={
    card: initializeCard()
  }

  public renderRows = () => {
    const { card } = this.state;
    return board.map((actor, index) => this.renderRow(actor, index));
  }

  public renderRow = (actor: Actor, index: number) => {
    return(
      <div className="cell">

      </div>
    )
  }

  public render() {
    return (
      <div className="App">
        <div>
            { this.renderRows() } // Here I'm getting the error
        </div>
      </div>
    )
  }
}
Related