using
import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
Given this Dataframe,
df = pd.DataFrame(np.array([[1, 2, 3],
[4, 5, 6],
[7, 8, 9],
[10, 11, 12],
[13, 14, 15],
[16, 17, 18],
[19, 20, 21]
]),
columns=['a', 'b', 'c'])
Out[1]:
a b c
0 1 2 3
1 4 5 6
2 7 8 9
3 10 11 12
4 13 14 15
5 16 17 18
6 19 20 21
I want to re order and put back in place the rows 2 to 5,
2 7 8 9
3 10 11 12
4 13 14 15
5 16 17 18
If the order within the subset is [2,0,1,3] the desired result is,
Out[2]:
a b c
0 1 2 3
1 4 5 6
4 13 14 15
2 7 8 9
3 10 11 12
5 16 17 18
6 19 20 21
(I need to do this for different subsets in different orders. This is just an example.)
My attempt,
My subset,
idx = [2,3,4,5]
idx2 = np.array(idx)
The new order
i = [2,0,1,3]
if I do,
df.iloc[idx].reindex(idx2[i])
I do get the subset in the right order, then, I thought the following should work,
df.iloc[idx] = df.iloc[idx].reindex(idx2[i]).reset_index(drop=True)
but it does not, because on both sides they need to match the indices. So, I would need either to set an offset on the index, which would be a bit nasty. Or make this operation to ignore the indices on the right hand side. Any idea?