I have an eml file with some attachments. I want to read text content in eml file and I want to extract meta-data information like(sender, from, cc, bcc, subject). Also I want to download the attachments as well. With the help of the below code I am only able to extract information/ text content in the body of the email.
import email
from email import policy
from email.parser import BytesParser
import glob
file_list = glob.glob('*.eml') # returns list of files
with open(file_list[2], 'rb') as fp: # select a specific email file from the list
msg = BytesParser(policy=policy.default).parse(fp)
text = msg.get_body(preferencelist=('plain')).get_content()
print(text)
There was module name emaildata which was available for Python 2 did the job.
Extracting MetaData Informations
import email
from emaildata.metadata import MetaData
message = email.message_from_file(open('message.eml'))
extractor = MetaData(message)
data = extractor.to_dict()
print data.keys()
Extracting Attachment Information
import email
from emaildata.attachment import Attachment
message = email.message_from_file(open('message.eml'))
for content, filename, mimetype, message in Attachment.extract(message):
print filename
with open(filename, 'w') as stream:
stream.write(content)
# If message is not None then it is an instance of email.message.Message
if message:
print "The file {0} is a message with attachments.".format(filename)
But this library is now deprecated and is of now use. Is there any other library that could extract the meta-data and attachment related information?