I am a seasoned full stack web dev, a happy user of Laravel's Homestead for a couple of years, but I have been running into problems with Laravel Homestead under MacOS Catalina on my new 16" MacBook Pro for weeks now, and I just can't find out what the problem is. After issuing vagrant up, the process halts 90% of the time waiting for a successful SSH connection to the VM.
When I open up the VM's display through VirtualBox, I see different errors every time, such as:
/sbin/init: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1: no version information available (required by /sbin/init)
/sbin/init: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmount.so.1: version 'BLKID_2.15' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmount.so.1)
/dev/mapper/homestead--vg-root: clean, 197904/3604480 files, 1607396/14397440 blocks
Couldn't find an alternative telinit implementation to spawn.
[ 3.535222] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill i
/sbin/init: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libidn.so.11: version 'XZ_5.0' not found (required by /lib/systemd/libsystemd-shared-237.so)
[ 3.388154] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attmpted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100
[ 4.532862] systemd[395]: /lib/systemd/system-generators/lvm2-activation-generator failed with exit status 1
I am running Vagrant 2.2.7, VirtualBox 6.1.4 r136177 under MacOS 10.15.4. The disk image used by the VM is called ubuntu-18.04-amd64-disk001.vmdk.
My Homestead configuration came from a working set up under Mojave and has worked under Catalina, but I have no idea what changed to stop it from working. I migrated two Homestead environments: one generic one that runs all of my simple PHP websites and one project-specific one that runs a single website under Apache (this is a heavy Enterprise app that needs some specific config to work properly, so I separated it from my generic Homestead environment). This used to work fine, but now both Homestead environments give these exact same issues.
I have:
- updated to 10.15.4 (but had the problem under older versions as well)
- run Apple's hardware test by booting with D pressed, no issues found
- reinstalled VirtualBox
- removed all my virtual machines and disks
- did a lot of testing under a new user account
- left all the VM's settings on default
- played around with the Storage's 'Host I/O Cache' settings
.. but under no conditions can I get a freshly installed Laravel Homestead machine with a fresh disk and a freshly downloaded box to come up reliably without problems. It's as if one out of ten times it does work, and the other nine out of ten I see strange errors and kernel panics (within the VM) as it is trying to come up after issuing a vagrant up. The errors above are just typical examples, I haven't even been able to reliably get the same error.
This makes me suspect something is wrong with the VM's I/O configuration, but even if I don't touch any of its default settings I run into these issues, yet I don't find other users on-line who have problems with Laravel's Homestead on MacOS Catalina or on the new 16" MacBook Pro. I am slowly going mad and have no idea where else to look.