I have my Express + Passport + Firebase project where I handle authentication with a local stratetegy. Since I found that Passport would take care of the authentication process, so I also found that it would accept flash messages as third parameter for the done() function (in the strategy). But I am not sure how to read them:
I guess the flow I made to set and read flash messages were:
Install connect-flash with NPM.
Set the Express middleware after importing it:
import * as flash from 'connect-flash';
...
const app = express();
...
app.use(flash());
- Configure Passport Authentication in the Express route according to the documentation:
// POST - /api/v1/admin/oauth/login
router.post(
'/login',
async (req: Request, res: Response) => { /* middleware function to validate input */ },
passport.authenticate('local', {
failureRedirect: '/api/v1/admin/oauth/login',
failureFlash: true
}),
async (req: Request, res: Response) => { /* function after success login */
);
- Include the flash messages in the
done()method, according to Passport configuration documentation:
import { Strategy as LocalStrategy } from 'passport-local';
import db from '../../config/database';
import * as bcrypt from 'bcryptjs';
export default new LocalStrategy({ usernameField: 'email' }, async (email, password, done) => {
const ref = db.collection('users').doc(email);
try {
const doc = await ref.get();
if (!doc.exists) {
return done(null, false, { error: 'Wrong email' });
}
const user = doc.data();
const match: boolean = await bcrypt.compare(password, user.password);
if (!match) {
return done(null, false, { error: 'Wrong password' });
}
user.id = doc.id;
delete user.password;
return done(null, user);
} catch(error) {
return done(error);
}
});
- Read the flash messages using
req.flash('error'):
// GET - /api/v1/admin/oauth/login
router.get('/login', (req: any, res: Response) => {
const result: IResult = {
message: '',
data: null,
ok: false
};
if (req.flash('error')) {
resultado.message = req.flash('error');
console.log(req.flash('error'));
}
return res.status(400).json(result);
});
I thought it was theroically working in my mind, until step 5, where req.flash('error') has an empty array in it. What I am doing wrong?