I've just set up a Ruby on Rails app on Heroku, but, I'm experiencing a CI setup performance problem, which is quite annoying.
During the setup of our unit tests, Heroku is always re-installing our gems, producing logs like:
Fetching activestorage 6.0.2.2
Installing activestorage 6.0.2.2
This is not the case when setting up our app, as it shows lines like this instead:
Using activestorage 6.0.2.2
In both cases, bundler looks to be called with the correct arguments:
(for CI setup)
Running: bundle install --without development --path vendor/bundle --binstubs vendor/bundle/bin -j4 --deployment
(for app setup)
Running: bundle install --without development:test --path vendor/bundle --binstubs vendor/bundle/bin -j4 --deployment
In both cases, we're having the line:
Bundled gems are installed into `./vendor/bundle`
So, I'm wondering: do you know why Heroku does not cache gems between CI test setups, while it's the case during consequent builds of our app? If yes, is there a way to force the reuse of gems previously installed in our CI pipeline? This is taking a lot of time and can benefit from that.
Thanks a lot