I'm trying to fix my legend text so that the text is representing the appropriate symbols and color. However, I have a lot of variables that I need to include in the legend, and they are all in different columns. Does anyone know a quick way to indicate what the colours and symbol are in the ggplot legend?
Here is some sample code
#sample data
temps = data.frame(Temperature= c(15,25,35),
Growth.Phase = c("exponential", "stationary", "death"),
Carbohydrates = sample(c(3:10), 9, replace = T),
Lipids = sample(c(10:25), 9, replace = T),
Chlorophyll = sample(c(2:15), 9),
DNA.RNA = sample(c(3:15), 9),
Protein = sample(c(5:20), 9))
temps$Shape = if_else(temps$Growth.Phase == "exponential", 21,
if_else(temps$Growth.Phase == "stationary", 22, 23))
#Graph code
ggplot(data = temps, aes(x = Temperature, y = "Proportions", shape = factor(Shape))) +
geom_point(aes(y = Carbohydrates),colour = "darkred",
fill = "darkred", size = 3) +
geom_line(aes(y = Carbohydrates), size = 1, col = "darkred") +
geom_point(aes(y = Lipids), colour = "darkblue",
fill = "darkblue", size = 3, col ="darkblue") +
geom_line(aes(y = Lipids), size = 1) +
geom_point(aes(y = Protein), colour = "violet",
fill = "violet", size = 3) +
geom_line(aes(y = Protein), size = 1, col ="violet") +
geom_point(aes(y = DNA.RNA), colour = "darkorange",
fill = "darkorange", size = 3) +
geom_line(aes(y = DNA.RNA), size = 1, col = "darkorange") +
geom_point(aes(y = Chlorophyll), size = 3, colour = "darkgreen",
fill = "darkgreen") +
geom_line(aes(y = Chlorophyll), size = 1, col = "darkgreen") +
labs(x = "Temperature (°C)", y = "Proportion")
This is the image I am getting
But as you can see it's not giving me the correct text in the legend. I would like the symbols to specify which Growth.Phase they are and the colour to specify what column I have plotted (ie. Carbohydrate, Protein etc....). Does anyone know a quick fix?
When I use my own data this is what the graph looks like, please note the lines are going through the same symbols, and are the same colours



