I logged in a virtual machine via ssh and I tried to run a script in background, the script is shown below:
#!/bin/bash
APP_NAME=`basename $0`
CFG_FILE=$1
. $CFG_FILE #just some variables
CMD=$2
PID_FILE="$PIDS_DIR/$APP_NAME.pid"
CUR_LOG_DIR=$LOGS_RUNNING
echo $$ > $PID_FILE
#Main script code
#This script shall be called using the following syntax
# $ nohup script_name output_dir &
TIMESTAMP=`date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S"`
CAP_INTERFACE="eth0"
/usr/sbin/tcpdump -nei $CAP_INTERFACE -s 65535 -w file_result
rm $PID_FILE
The result should be tcpdump running in background, redirecting the command result to file_result.
The script is called with:
nohup $SCRIPT_NAME $CFG_FILE start &
And It is stopped calling the STOP_SCRIPT:
##STOP_SCRIPT
PID_FILE="$PIDS_DIR/$APP_NAME.pid"
if [ -f $PID_FILE ]
then
PID=`cat $PID_FILE`
# send SIGTERM to kill all children of $PID
pkill -TERM -P $PID
fi
When I check the file_result, after running the stop script, It is empty.
What is happening? How can I solve it?
I found this link: https://it.toolbox.com/question/launching-tcpdump-processes-in-background-using-ssh-060614
The author seems to have faced a similar issue. They debate about race conditions, but I didn't understand completely.