Xamarin.Messaging.Broker wants firewall access

Viewed 20020

After installing VS2019 16.5.1 and 16.5.2 I receive a message that Windows Defender has locked some features of Xamarin.Messaging.Broker and asking if I should allow it.

Normally I would as it seems to be part of Visual Studio but this executable is located in my appdata\local\temp file, which I would not expect it to be. Searching the net for info about this yields little in the way of good information.

Does anyoe know what it does and why on earth would you put an exe in the local user temp?

3 Answers

My message appear exactly after upgrade 16.5.0 to 16.5.3, We all see this message in 16.5.2 version and above.

So as far as we know this happened because microsoft add something new in 16.5.2 and above, It can't be anything except microsoft work since we all have seen this firewall message.

My file was in C:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\xamarin\xma\broker.local\16.5.000.533\broker.exe

This access will add a record in firewall advanced "Inbound Rules" Which means grant an access from outside to our PCs on UDP/TCP.

Conclusion :

Personaly i allowd this file in firewall because i have tons of problems in xamarin (special to connect to Mac) and i don't want to add more, I suggest you all do the same.

In VS2022 I just had this security alert just as I went to open the toolbox to add a Button to a new WPF project.

**Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of this app**

Name: Broker
Publisher: Xamarin
Path: C:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\xamarin\xma\local\broker\17.3.0.288\broker.exe

Allow Broker to communicate on these networks:
āœ” Private networks, such as my home or work network

I refused it.

Related