I have a pandas DataFrame that for instance is looking like this.
df
Values
Timestamp
2020-02-01 A
2020-02-02 B
2020-02-03 C
I would like (to ease processing to be done afterward) to keep a window of n row and duplicate it for each timestamp, and creating a 2nd level index with local int index.
With n=2, this would give:
df_new
Values
Timestamp 2nd_level_index
2020-02-01 0 NaN
1 A
2020-02-02 0 A
1 B
2020-03-03 0 B
1 C
Is there any kind of pandas built-in function that would help me do that? A rolling window with fixed size (n) seems to be the start, but then how do I duplicate the window and store it for each row using a 2nd level index?
Thanks in advance for any help! Bests,
EDIT 04/05
Taking propose code, and changing a bit the output format, I adapted it for a 2-column DataFrame.
I ended up with following code.
import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
from random import seed, randint
def transpose_n_rows(df: pd.DataFrame, n_rows: int) -> pd.DataFrame:
array = np.concatenate((np.full((len(df.columns),n_rows-1), np.nan), df.transpose()), axis=1)
shape = array.shape[:-1] + (array.shape[-1] - n_rows + 1, n_rows)
strides = array.strides + (array.strides[-1],)
array = np.lib.stride_tricks.as_strided(array, shape=shape, strides=strides)
midx = pd.MultiIndex.from_product([df.columns, range(n_rows)], names=['Data','Position'])
transposed = pd.DataFrame(np.concatenate(array, axis=1), index=df.index, columns=midx)
return transposed
n = 4
start = '2020-01-01 00:00+00:00'
end = '2020-01-01 12:00+00:00'
pr2h = pd.period_range(start=start, end=end, freq='2h')
seed(1)
values1 = [randint(0,10) for ts in pr2h]
values2 = [randint(20,30) for ts in pr2h]
df2h = pd.DataFrame({'Values1' : values1, 'Values2': values2}, index=pr2h)
df2h_new = transpose_n_rows(df2h, n)
Which gives.
In [29]:df2h
Out[29]:
Values1 Values2
2020-01-01 00:00 2 27
2020-01-01 02:00 9 30
2020-01-01 04:00 1 26
2020-01-01 06:00 4 23
2020-01-01 08:00 1 21
2020-01-01 10:00 7 27
2020-01-01 12:00 7 20
In [30]:df2h_new
Out[30]:
Data Values1 Values2
Position 0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3
2020-01-01 00:00 NaN NaN NaN 2.0 NaN NaN NaN 27.0
2020-01-01 02:00 NaN NaN 2.0 9.0 NaN NaN 27.0 30.0
2020-01-01 04:00 NaN 2.0 9.0 1.0 NaN 27.0 30.0 26.0
2020-01-01 06:00 2.0 9.0 1.0 4.0 27.0 30.0 26.0 23.0
2020-01-01 08:00 9.0 1.0 4.0 1.0 30.0 26.0 23.0 21.0
2020-01-01 10:00 1.0 4.0 1.0 7.0 26.0 23.0 21.0 27.0
2020-01-01 12:00 4.0 1.0 7.0 7.0 23.0 21.0 27.0 20.0
However, I am calling this function transpose_n_rows in a for loop for a significant number of DataFrames. This first use makes me a bit afraid with performance issues.
I could read that one should avoid multiple calls to np.concatenate or pd.concat, and here, I have 2 of them for a use that maybe can be bypassed?
Please, is there any advice to get rid of them if this is possible?
I thank you in advance for any help! Bests,