"'rootDir' is expected to contain all source files" in monorepo

Viewed 7320

I'm working on converting a large(ish) monorepo into TypeScript for a client, however, I'm pretty new to TS myself and have run into an error that I can't find an obvious fix for.

TS6059: File '[path to repo root]/packages/config/globals.ts' is not under 'rootDir' '[path to repo root]/packages/components/src'. 'rootDir' is expected to contain all source files.

The globals.ts file isn't supposed to live in the components package, it belongs to the config package so I don't really understand the error.

I have a main tsconfig file in the root of the repo (https://github.com/serge-web/serge/blob/feature/333-game-admin-channel/tsconfig.json) and then each package has it's own tsconfig file which extends that one. The one for the components package is here: https://github.com/serge-web/serge/blob/feature/333-game-admin-channel/packages/components/tsconfig.json

I assume I am extending the tsconfig files in the packages incorrectly or I have used references incorrectly but I can't find the correct way to do this.

Here is a link to the repo if you need to see the structure: https://github.com/serge-web/serge/tree/feature/333-game-admin-channel

4 Answers

In the end the fix was to remove any reference to rootDir from all files other than the tsconfig.json file in the root (which I left as .).

The only thing that worked for me was explicitly add the package containing foreign code as a dependency in package.json:

{
    "dependencies": {
        "@packages/name": "*"
    }
}

In my setup I'm not using Lerna, just raw Yarn Workspaces with both TypeScript and JavaScript packages.

With me the .ts was found in the typings directory. Changing the extension from filename.ts to filename.d.ts solved the problem. All other files were named this way, it was old code, I have no idea why that one file had the extension .ts and not .d.ts

I used to have the same problem.

references is the correct way to solve this problem.

My monorepo app file structure is like this:

MyMonorepo
├── lerna.json
├── package.json
├── packages
│   ├── packageA
│   │   ├── package.json
│   │   ├── src
│   │   │   ├── index.ts
│   │   └── tsconfig-build.json
│   └── packageB
│       ├── package.json
│       ├── src
│       │   └── index.ts
│       └── tsconfig-build.json
├── tsconfig.json
└── yarn.lock

And packageA used some packageB's components.

Config packageA's tsconfig-build.json like this:

{
    "extends": "../../tsconfig.json",
    "include": ["src/**/*"],
    "exclude": ["src/**/*.test.ts", "src/**/*.test.tsx", "**/demos/*.ts", "**/demos/*.tsx"],
    "compilerOptions": {
        "rootDir": "./src",
        "outDir": "./dist/types",
        "composite": true,
        "emitDeclarationOnly": true,
        "skipLibCheck": true
    },
    "references": [{ "path": "../packageB/tsconfig-build.json" }]
}

That references config solved my problem.

Doc: https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/project-references.html

Related