I want to see if docker container with PostgreSQL is ready using Netcat utility.
My entrypoint.sh script seems to be unable to spot the DB up and running. When I login into docker and run NC in verbose mode I get
DNS fwd/rev mismatch: db != telegram_messages_db_1.telegram_messages_default
What am I doing wrong?
My setup
entrypoint.sh
echo "Waiting for postgres..."
while ! nc -z db 5432; do
sleep 0.1
done
echo "PostgreSQL started"
docker-compose.yaml
version: '3.7'
services:
messages:
build:
context: .
dockerfile: Dockerfile
entrypoint: ['/usr/src/app/entrypoint.sh'] # new
volumes:
- .:/usr/src/app
ports:
- 5001:5000
environment:
.....
depends_on:
- db
db:
build:
context: ./backend/db
dockerfile: Dockerfile
expose:
- 5432
environment:
- POSTGRES_USER=postgres
- POSTGRES_PASSWORD=postgres
docker-compose output
Attaching to telegram_messages_db_1, telegram_messages_messages_1
messages_1 | Waiting for postgres...
db_1 |
db_1 | PostgreSQL Database directory appears to contain a database; Skipping initialization
db_1 |
db_1 | 2020-03-29 23:55:22.103 UTC [1] LOG: starting PostgreSQL 12.2 on x86_64-pc-linux-musl, compiled by gcc (Alpine 9.2.0) 9.2.0, 64-bit
db_1 | 2020-03-29 23:55:22.103 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv4 address "0.0.0.0", port 5432
db_1 | 2020-03-29 23:55:22.104 UTC [1] LOG: listening on IPv6 address "::", port 5432
db_1 | 2020-03-29 23:55:22.115 UTC [1] LOG: listening on Unix socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
db_1 | 2020-03-29 23:55:22.170 UTC [20] LOG: database system was shut down at 2020-03-29 23:46:56 UTC
db_1 | 2020-03-29 23:55:22.190 UTC [1] LOG: database system is ready to accept connections
Also...
If I run nc -z -v telegram_messages_db_1.telegram_messages_default 5432
I do get a nice response:
telegram_messages_db_1.telegram_messages_default [172.19.0.2] 5432 (postgresql) open