Visual studio code EPERM Operation not permitted

Viewed 5903

Everytime I try and install a new extension onto vsc I get:

Error while loading extensions. EPERM: operation not permitted

followed by it telling me to open a .obsolete file. The file path it tells me too doesnt exist though. I do not have a .vscode folder for some reason.

3 Answers
  • You should first go your current user "C:\Users\your_user_name" directory.
  • Then click the "Hidden Items" checkbox.
  • After you will see the ".vscode" folder.
  • Last thing to do is deleting it and reopen the VS Code.

I had the same problem when re-installing Visual Studio Code. The old .vscode folder with my old extensions persisted. Deleting the old .vscode folder solved the problem.

It may be hidden. To show hidden folders in File Explorer, go to View > check 'Hidden Items' in Show/hide section.

I tried removing the .vscode folder which didn't work.

It's a permission error.

  1. Right click the shortcut of VSCode.
  2. Go to properties.
  3. Compatibility tab.
  4. Check "Run this program as an administrator"
  5. Restart and re-run your command.
  6. Come back to Stack Overflow and mark an answer as accepted. It's been over a year.
Related