I have two problems I'm trying to solve, the first issue is the main one. Hopefully I've explained the second one decently.
1) My initial issue is trying to create spatial polygon dataframe from a tibble. For example, I have a tibble that outlines U.S. states, from the urbnmapr library and I want to be able to plot spatial polygons for all 50 states. (Note: I already have made a map from these data in ggplot but I specifically want spatial polygons to plot and animate in leaflet):
> states <- urbnmapr::states
> states
# A tibble: 83,933 x 10
long lat order hole piece group state_fips state_abbv state_name fips
<dbl> <dbl> <int> <lgl> <fct> <fct> <chr> <chr> <chr> <chr>
1 -88.5 31.9 1 FALSE 1 01.1 01 AL Alabama 01
2 -88.5 31.9 2 FALSE 1 01.1 01 AL Alabama 01
3 -88.5 31.9 3 FALSE 1 01.1 01 AL Alabama 01
...
2) Once I do this, I will want to join additional data from a separate tibble to the spatial polygons by the state name. What would be the best way to do that if I different data for each year? i.e. for the 50 states I have three years of data, so would I create 150 different polygons for the states across years or have 50 state polygons but have all the information in each to be able to make 3 different plots of all states for the different years?