I am trying to get started with Rails, following the guide at https://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html, but I'm running into problems.
I've got ruby, sqlite3, and rails installed as required, and then run
rails new blog
as indicated in section 3.2 of the tutorial. I get an error saying "Your user account isn't allowed to install to the system RubyGems.", but I can install the gems into ./vendor/bundle, as suggested (I don't have full root access on this machine).
So far, so good. But then
rails webpacker:install
is run by the process, which gives me the following message:
Yarn not installed. Please download and install Yarn from https://yarnpkg.com/lang/en/docs/install/
Of course, I went to that website and checked the instructions for my Fedora system and tried to follow them. The problem is again: I have limited root access, I cannot run the suggested commands; in particular, I cannot write to /etc/yum.repos.d/yarn.repo.
I also googled a bit, and what I could do is following https://developer.fedoraproject.org/tech/languages/nodejs/nodejs.html to install Node.js and Yarn (including setting the alias yarn for nodejs-yarn). But still, running
rails webpacker:install
says that Yarn is not installed.
Any help is greatly appreciated, I have to admit that I don't really know what I'm doing. Thanks!