I have a large directory full of files and subdirectories.
Two or three of the files are excel spreadsheets in the main directory that I need to transfer to and from home regularly.
My idea was to make a git repository that only includes those few files, then use git to pass the files back and forth via a private repository on github.
I am unable to move/segregate these files to their own directory elsewhere, they need to stay where they are (amongst the hundreds of other files). So if I create a repository on that directory, it's going to include a whole lot of files that I don't want included. It's like I need to create the repository with a whitelist that says, "exclude everything except file1.xls, file2.xls".
My git skills are weak. Can anyone advise the cleanest way to do this, or if there is a more idiomatic way to do this?