Ubuntu 16.04, git version 2.7.4
I have been developing some code locally that is also hosted remotely. Today, and a few other times earlier occasionally, what follows happens. The other times it disappeared after just waiting sceptically, but now it seems to be persistent.
Step 1, pass: synchronize current branch with remote
git pull
Already up-to-date.
Step 2, fail: check status and new modified files show up out of the blue
git status
On branch [mybranch]
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/[mybranch]'.
Changes not staged for commit:
(use "git add ..." to update what will be committed)
(use "git checkout -- ..." to discard changes in working directory)some 30+ files are given as modified, even though I don't quite think they have been changed
(After reboot they have become 15, erratically. After another reboot, 3. Take note: no action on the files)
Step 3: inquiry what the difference would be
Probing the situation with a couple of files, I get
git diff ../../[directory]/[directory]/[file].md5
error: short read No such file or directory
error: [directory]/[directory]/[file].md5: failed to insert into database
fatal: cannot hash [directory]/[directory]/[file].md5
Research
Thinking of Git shows all files as modified after changing file permission, I don't think to have changed permissions any recently. Those files are quite fossilised.
Questions
What is the possible cause of this situation, and how to prevent that this happens again?
And why would it self-heal automagically at times, and persist at others?