Terminal stalling on every command due to Xcodebuild

Viewed 1423

I just updated Xcode to 11.4 and suddenly my terminal (iTerm 3.3.9) is now very slow. Typing a command works fine, but upon pressing enter I often wait 3-4 seconds to perform a simple task (cd, git add, etc).

When I look at the status bar I notice that xcodebuild is running during the time while I am waiting. I'm assuming that the new Xcode update did something that makes this process longer or needs a setting updated somewhere.

I have already tried sudo xcodebuild -license accept and that did not fix the problem. Additionally, there is no xcodebuild call inside of my .zshrc file.

Where can I find out what the terminal is trying to do with Xcodebuild? I suspect identifying the command being run is the first step towards determining how to fix it.

FWIW, this problem also happens in the Apple-provided terminal, so I don't think it's iTerm specific.

1 Answers

I've found many answers but at the first start the console is still very slow (15s).

At end looking around I found out that somehow it's nvm that needs xcodebuild.

The slowdown was fixed changing the nvm default to system

nvm alias default system
Related