Is there any option to automatically fix the data types in Intellij IDEA?

Viewed 84
public class BankAccount {
    private int balance;

    public void setBalance(int x) {
        balance = x;
    }

    public int getBalance() {
        return balance;
    }
}

Here the field balance is defined as an integer and the methods which are involved with that field are also implemented according to that type. For some reason, if I change private int balance to private double balance, then I will have to change the return types and parameter types of the methods involved with that field. I can do this manually but for larger codes, that will become tedious. Is there any way to get Intellij to do that for me?

2 Answers

Place the caret on the type (in your case int) Right Click -> Refactor -> Type Migration and type the type you want to migrate and click refactor.

Shortcuts:

  • Ctrl+Shift+F6 in Windows/*nix
  • ⌘ Command+Shift+F6 in macOS

enter image description here

You can follow the steps to select these options:

  1. Refactor
  2. Type Migration

Shortcut: Command + Shift + F6 on default IntelliJ settings for macOS.

Related