How to solve "pdftk: Bad CPU type in executable" on Mac?

Viewed 18686

I want to use pdftk but I always get this error zsh: bad CPU type in executable: pdftk I reinstalled pdftk and I changed the terminal from bsh to zsh as I found in my search for how to solve this error but without any success. I'm using the latest MacOS version "Catalina v10.15.4"

4 Answers

As a preliminary solution, I was successful in installing the Intel version of homebrew in /usr/local (in parallel to the M1 version in /opt/homebrew) using Apple's Rosetta 2 layer. The Intel packages (homebrew formulae) seem to work without any problem on the Apple M1 architecture. Both pdftk and pandoc work even without prefixing 'arch -x86_64' (e.g., the command 'pandoc sample.md -o sample.html' as in the example linked below).

Commands:

arch -x86_64 /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"
alias ibrew='arch -x86_64 /usr/local/bin/brew'
ibrew analytics off
ibrew install pdftk-java
ibrew install pandoc

Further information:

The macos-10.11 link above worked for me on macOS 10.15 Catalina.

I emailed Sid Steward at PDF Labs about the old link. Hopefully he will update it on the PDF Labs website ;-)

Related