X server 8 bit pseudo color initiating the palette (linux xdoom)

Viewed 915

I' looking at the original 1997 32 bit port of xDoom for Linux which I have running on Ubuntu 64 bit.

Sound and input is working and I am getting graphical output but the colors are all wrong.

The code assumes an 8 bit pseudo screen and I have used Xypher (Xserver) to provide a window that is 8 bits deep.

So I get the impression xDoom assumes this 8 256 pseudo color screen has a fixed/default palette of colors which the X window does not have.

So I need to know two things:

  • what is the color palette for a 256 pseudo color X window
  • how can I use a script/program to assign colors to the X window prior to xDoom launching.

At this point I'm assuming 8 bit RGB 3x3x2, but I don't really know.

My startup script looks like this:

#!/bin/sh
Xephyr :2 -ac -br -screen 1280x800x8 -reset -terminate -title DOOM &
#DISPLAY=:2 ./setupcolorpalette
DISPLAY=:2 ./linuxxdoom -4 -warp 1 1

I need some ideas regarding doing this in script or code!

1 Answers
Related