NVRM: API mismatch despite having the same version on client and kernel

Viewed 4002

I have installed nvidia driver 440.64.

After reboot, I get a black screen instead of the login screen. I pressed CTRL+ALT+F3 to console login and typed sudo prime-select intel. The login screen appears and I can login.

After login, I type nvidia-smi :

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I do the following:

prime-select query

Output:

intel

Then

sudo prime-select nvidia

Output:

Info: selecting the nvidia profile

Then

nvidia-smi

Output:

Failed to initialize NVML: Driver/library version mismatch

Then

dmesg

Output:

...
[   68.122795] NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 440.64.00, but
               NVRM: this kernel module has the version 440.64.  Please
               NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
               NVRM: components have the same version.
...

If I reboot, I run into the same problem.

1 Answers

Install the nvidia-driver-440 from the nvidia deb repo will fix it.

The nvidia driver and client library should come from the same repository or the version most likely mismatch.

Related