I am going through David Goldberg's What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic. I have no formal background in numerical analysis and am having a hard time understanding the paper. In the section Relative Error and Ulps, he goes on to derive the upper-bound of the relative error when approximating a real number with the close FP number. So corresponding to .5 ULPs, when a real number is approximated by a FP number d.ddd...d x β e, the absolute error is ((β/2)β-p) x βe. He says that numbers of the form d.ddd...d x βe have values that range from βe to β x βe. I don't understand how this range comes from. To find the relative error, I need to divide by the actual real number that I am approximating. Why is he dividing by the values that the FP number can take? What am I missing?
Further, I am struggling to understand the significance of wobble. A few paragraphs later, he demonstrates this relationship by taking a real-number x and then approximating it with a FP number. Then finding the error in ULPs and in relative. Then multiplies the real number by 8 (and the FP approximation as well). The error when measured in ULPs increases but the relative error remains the same.
Somehow I fail to develop an intuition for this relationship. Where is it useful?