Changing default new editor group location on VS Code

Viewed 93

Strangely enough, I haven't been able to find questions over SO or through search engines in general of people who want to change where VS Code opens a new editor group by default. In my case, I am trying to make the MSSQL extension open a query's results in a pane below the current one.

However, there doesn't seem to be a ready solution for this. In settings.json, it is possible to change the behaviour of these splits directly:

"mssql.splitPaneSelection":"current"

However, the only possible values this field can take are next, current and end. I also tried to change editor positioning on the workbench settings:

"workbench.editor.openPositioning": "left"

But this setting doesn't have a below option as well, only left, right, first and last.

Is it possible to make these panels open below the current editor? If so, how and how to carry these settings to the MSSQL extension? (most likely using next or end as the parameter for a new pane)

1 Answers

I found out randomly in the VS Code docs. All you need is to set the direction in settings.json:

"workbench.editor.openSideBySideDirection": "down"

I haven't tested with the MSSQL extension since I'm not using it anymore, but it should be fine if I'd guess.

Related