Kernel error after updating Spyder in anaconda

Viewed 903

I updated Spyder to version 4.1.0 (together with all other packages in anaconda). Spyder itself works fine however the kernel is not working. I get the following error and can't figure out how to solve it:

An error ocurred while starting the kernel
The error is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\20172010\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site‑packages\spyder\plugins\ipythonconsole\plugin.py", line 1209, in create_kernel_manager_and_kernel_client
kernel_manager.start_kernel(stderr=stderr_handle, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\20172010\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site‑packages\jupyter_client\manager.py", line 267, in start_kernel
self.kernel = self._launch_kernel(kernel_cmd, env=env, **kw)
File "C:\Users\20172010\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site‑packages\jupyter_client\manager.py", line 211, in _launch_kernel
return launch_kernel(kernel_cmd, **kw)
File "C:\Users\20172010\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site‑packages\jupyter_client\launcher.py", line 135, in launch_kernel
proc = Popen(cmd, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\20172010\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\subprocess.py", line 800, in __init__
restore_signals, start_new_session)
File "C:\Users\20172010\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\subprocess.py", line 1207, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
FileNotFoundError: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified
3 Answers

I had the very same issue, I started Spyder using Anaconda Navigator instead of calling only Spider (desktop icon) and it worked.

Somehow the logic calling Spyder outside Anaconda Navigator misses something Anaconda Navigator doesn´t.

So somehow if i start Spyder graphically from the anaconda menu it works (which solves the problem).

In the link below is mentioned that they are working to roll out spyder 4.1.1 asap.

In the meantime you have two options:

  • run spyder 4.1.0 via the Navigator or prompt (as mentioned earlier)
  • perform a rollback to 4.0.1 in the navigator

Link: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/11819

Related