Android Studio BSOD when running virtual device

Viewed 2079

When I attempt to start a virtual device the laptop crashes and I get a BSOD with the error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I opened up the crash log and I found the culprit to be:

MODULE_NAME: IntelHaxm

IMAGE_NAME:  IntelHaxm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  5cb6c325

STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb

BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET:  28a8

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  AV_CODE_AV_IntelHaxm!unknown_function

BUCKET_ID:  AV_CODE_AV_IntelHaxm!unknown_function

PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS:  AV_CODE_AV_IntelHaxm!unknown_function

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

2 Answers

This happens when the IntelHaxm driver isn't properly installed. If VT-x is not enabled in the BIOS when Android Studio installs, Haxm will not setup properly.

If you then enable VT-x but not reinstall the driver, Android Studio will try to use the unconfigured driver and you'll get this crash.

To reinstall Haxm, go under Tools > SDK Manager and install it manually. (image ref)

enter image description here

There was also a version of the driver that had a bug that caused this. Make sure you Help > Check for Updates... so you have the latest edition. Be sure VT-x is enabled in the BIOS first.

If you have "Intell x 86 Emulator" to be sure that you use the actual version. Try to update it. if you use not the latest version there would be an updating available.

enter image description here

Related