How to grant permission to audio in electron app in Windows?

Viewed 4661

I'm trying to implement speech recognition into the electron application. The solution works in chrome browser, but does not work in electron. The application stops listening immediately - it probably has no microphone permission. How to grant permissions?

index.js

const electron = require('electron');
const url = require('url');
const path = require('path');

const { app, BrowserWindow, ipcMain } = electron;

let mainWindow;


ipcMain.on('close-me', (evt, arg) => {
    app.quit()
})

app.on('ready', () => {
    mainWindow = new BrowserWindow({
        transparent: true,
        frame: false,
        webPreferences: {
            nodeIntegration: true,
            webviewTag: true
        }
    });


    mainWindow.loadURL(url.format({
        pathname: path.join(__dirname, 'web/index.html'),
        protocol: 'file',
        slashes: true
    }));

    mainWindow.webContents.openDevTools();
    mainWindow.setFullScreen(true);


});

index.html

<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <title></title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/style.css">
</head>

<body>
    <div class="container">

        <button id="rec"> rec</button>
        <button id="endrec"> end</button>

    </div>
    <script src="scripts/speech.js"></script>
</body>
</html>

speech.js

const SpeechRecognition = window.SpeechRecognition || window.webkitSpeechRecognition;
const recognition = new SpeechRecognition();
recognition.lang = 'pl-PL';
const rec = document.querySelector('#rec');
const endrec = document.querySelector('#endrec');

    recognition.onstart = function () {
        console.log('I started');
    }

    recognition.onend = function () {
        console.log('I finished');
    }

    recognition.onresult = function () {
        console.log('Take what I recorded');
        console.log(event);

        const current = event.resultIndex;
        const transcript = event.results[current][0].transcript;
        console.log(transcript);

    }

    rec.addEventListener('click', () => {
        recognition.start();
        console.log('You clicked me');
    })

    endrec.addEventListener('click', () => {
        recognition.stop();
    })

I've also tried solutions with

webview.addEventListener('permissionrequest', function (e) {
     if (e.permission === 'media') {
         e.request.allow();
    }
});

and

navigator.webkitGetUserMedia({ audio: true })

UPDATE


I found a reason to stop recognizing - error - network

enter image description here

3 Answers

I think you'll want to use the setPermissionRequestHandler on your session, like this:

const electron = require('electron');
const url = require('url');
const path = require('path');

const {
    app,
    BrowserWindow,
    ipcMain,
    session
} = electron;

let mainWindow;


ipcMain.on('close-me', (evt, arg) => {
    app.quit()
})

app.on('ready', () => {
    mainWindow = new BrowserWindow({
        transparent: true,
        frame: false,
        webPreferences: {
            nodeIntegration: true,
            webviewTag: true
        }
    });

    mainWindow.loadURL(url.format({
        pathname: path.join(__dirname, 'web/index.html'),
        protocol: 'file',
        slashes: true
    }));

    mainWindow.webContents.openDevTools();
    mainWindow.setFullScreen(true);

    session.fromPartition("default").setPermissionRequestHandler((webContents, permission, callback) => {
        let allowedPermissions = ["audioCapture"]; // Full list here: https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/declare_permissions#manifest

        if (allowedPermissions.includes(permission)) {
            callback(true); // Approve permission request
        } else {
            console.error(
                `The application tried to request permission for '${permission}'. This permission was not whitelisted and has been blocked.`
            );

            callback(false); // Deny
        }
    });
});

Are you testing on MacOS? I faced a similar issue in my MBP, and below check solved the issue -

systemPreferences.askForMediaAccess(microphone)

See the Electron doc reference for additional details.

Related