Airflow running python files fails due to python: can't open file

Viewed 3528

I have a folder tree like this in my project

  • project
    • dags
    • python_scripts
    • libraries
    • docker-compose.yml
    • Dockerfile
    • docker_resources

I create an airflow service in a docker container with:

dockerfile

#Base image
FROM puckel/docker-airflow:1.10.1

#Impersonate
USER root

#Los automatically thrown to the I/O strem and not buffered.
ENV PYTHONUNBUFFERED 1

ENV AIRFLOW_HOME=/usr/local/airflow
ENV PYTHONPATH "${PYTHONPATH}:/libraries"

WORKDIR /
#Add docker source files to the docker machine
ADD ./docker_resources ./docker_resources
#Install libraries and dependencies
RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y vim
RUN pip install --user psycopg2-binary
RUN pip install -r docker_resources/requirements.pip


Docker-compose.yml
version: '3'
services:
  postgres:
    image: postgres:9.6
    container_name: "postgres"
    environment:
      - POSTGRES_USER=airflow
      - POSTGRES_PASSWORD=airflow
      - POSTGRES_DB=airflow
    ports:
      - "5432:5432"
  webserver:
    build: .
    restart: always
    depends_on:
      - postgres
    volumes:
      - ./dags:/usr/local/airflow/dags
      - ./libraries:/libraries
      - ./python_scripts:/python_scripts
    ports:
      - "8080:8080"
    command: webserver
    healthcheck:
      test: ["CMD-SHELL", "[ -f /usr/local/airflow/airflow-webserver.pid ]"]
      interval: 30s
      timeout: 30s
      retries: 3
  scheduler:
    build: .
    restart: always
    depends_on:
      - postgres
    volumes:
      - ./dags:/usr/local/airflow/dags
      - ./logs:/usr/local/airflow/logs
    ports:
      - "8793:8793"
    command: scheduler
    healthcheck:
      test: ["CMD-SHELL", "[ -f /usr/local/airflow/airflow-scheduler.pid ]"]
      interval: 30s
      timeout: 30s
      retries: 3

My dag folder has a tutorial with:

from datetime import timedelta
# The DAG object; we'll need this to instantiate a DAG
from airflow import DAG
# Operators; we need this to operate!
from airflow.operators.bash_operator import BashOperator
from airflow.utils.dates import days_ago
# These args will get passed on to each operator
# You can override them on a per-task basis during operator initialization
default_args = {
    'owner': 'airflow',
    'depends_on_past': False,
    'start_date': days_ago(2),
    'email': ['xxx@xxx.com '],
    'email_on_failure': False,
    'email_on_retry': False,
    'retries': 0,
    'retry_delay': timedelta(minutes=5),
    'schedule_interval': '@daily',
}

dag = DAG(
    'Tutorial',
    default_args=default_args,
    description='A simple tutorial DAG with production tables',
    catchup=False
)

task_1 = BashOperator(
    task_id='my_task',
    bash_command='python /python_scripts/my_script.py',
    dag=dag,
)

I tried changing bash_command='python /python_scripts/my_script.py', for:

  • bash_command='python python_scripts/my_script.py',
  • bash_command='python ~/../python_scripts/my_script.py',
  • bash_command='python ~/python_scripts/my_script.py',

And all of them fails. I tried them because BashOperator run the command in a tmp folder. If I get in the machine, and run ls command I find the file, under python_scripts. Even if I run python /python_scripts/my_script.py from /usr/local/airflowit works.

The error is always:

INFO - python: can't open file

I searched and people solved the issue with absolute paths, but I can't fix it.

Edit If in the dockerfile I add ADD ./ ./ below WORKDIR / and I delete these volumes from docker-compose.yml:

 1. ./libraries:/libraries

 2. ./python_scripts:/python_scripts

The error is not file not found, is libraries not found. Import module error. Which is an improvement, but doesn't make sense cause PYTHONPATH is defined to have /libraries folder.

Makes more sense the volumes that the ADD statement, because I need to have the changes applied into the code instantly into the docker.

Edit 2: Volumes are mounted but no file is inside the container folders, this is why is not able to find the files. When run Add ./ ./ the folder has the files cause there add all the files inside the folder. Despite it doesn't work due libraries are not found neither.

2 Answers

Did you try

bash_command='python /usr/local/airflow/python_scripts/my_script.py' 

And you have to check if the folder have the good permissions (access and execute for your user)

Finally I solved the issue, I discard all previous work, and restart DOCKERFILE using an UBUNTU base image, and not puckel/docker-airflow image which is based in python:3.7-slim-buster.

I don't use any other user that its not root know.

Related