I'm fairly new to programming and started learning C# and this is my first project. I'm struggling to figure out why strange and seemingly random issue is occurring. This is a fairly simple trading application. Basically it connects to a websocket stream and receives live price data from the exchange and then evaluates the price in real time and performs some actions. The price is updated hundreds of times per second and operates without issues and then all of a sudden, I will get a price value that is thousands of dollars off the actual price that was sent from the exchange. I finally caught this occurring in real time. The app had been running for 11 hours or so without issue, then the bad value came through.
Here is the code in question:
public static decimal CurrentPrice;
// ...
if (BitmexTickerStreamIsConnected)
{
bitmexApiSocketService.Subscribe(BitmetSocketSubscriptions.CreateInstrumentSubsription(
message =>
{
foreach (var instrumentDto in message.Data)
{
if (instrumentDto.Symbol == "XBTUSD")
{
BitmexTickerStreamLastMessageReceived = DateTime.Now;
decimal LastPrice = instrumentDto.LastPrice.HasValue ? Convert.ToDecimal(instrumentDto.LastPrice) : CurrentPrice;
CurrentPrice = LastPrice;
}
}
}));
}
These are the values from the debug after a breakpoint was hit further down:
instrumentDto.LastPrice = 7769.5
LastPrice = 7769.5
CurrentPrice = 776.9
The issue is that CurrentPrice seems to be for some reason shifting the decimal to the left by one place. The values coming in from the websocket are fine, its just when CurrentPrice is set to LastPrice that the issue happens.
I have no idea why this is happening and seems to be totally random.
Anyone have any idea why this might be happening or how?
Thank you for your help!